Registering your Short-Term Rental

Registering your Short-Term Rental:

  • Familiarize yourself with the Town’s zoning bylaw. Understand the requirements for each type of Short-Term Rental. The bylaw explains how many days you can rent and other requirements.
There are three categories of Short-Term Rentals:

  1. Short-Term Rental, Entire Dwelling
  2. Short-Term Rental, Guest Rooms
  3. Short-Term Rental, Accessory Dwelling Unit
  • Begin the registration process online here. The Registration process is co-managed by the Land Use and the Building Inspections Department in compliance with state and local laws. Reasonable fees may be required.
Key information to have ready:

  • Your name, address, and contact information.
  • The type of Short-Term Rental that you are applying for.
  • Details about the property that you are renting, including the number of bedrooms being rented and the other rooms that will be used by guests.
  • Documentation that the Short-Term Rental is your primary residence including one or both of the following:
    • Proof of Homestead Exemption filed with the Registry of Deeds
    • Tax return for the State of Massachusetts for the previous year, earnings redacted
  • The Building Inspections Department will contact you to schedule an inspection. Their checklist of requirements will be based on state building, safety, sanitary and housing codes. When you have satisfied these state requirements, you will receive a Certificate of Occupancy for a Short-Term Rental (Type).
  • The Building Commissioner shall have sixty (60) days to schedule an inspection. If an inspection is not scheduled within sixty (60) days, a temporary permit may be issued.
  • If required: Apply for Special Permit.
  •  If you are planning a Short-Term Rental, Entire Dwelling, or Short-Term Rental, Accessory Dwelling Unit, apply for the required Special Permit.
  • Receive your registration number and certificate. Once all applicable approvals are received, contact the Town Clerk to receive your registration number and registration certificate.
  • See the bylaw on how to display your registration number and certificate, and for renewal information.